Meet Bob - Be less like Bob
As first introduced in my blog post, Bob is a totally-made-up-and-not-real character that I may or may not know.
Bob is a Bigot.
Actually, my Bigot Bingo card has been completed. We have had Xenophobia, Jingoism, Sexism, Misogyny, Fascism, and of course, Racism.
Bob speaks in a slow drawn Westcountry accent - a bit like a Cornish Droopy. Some of Bob's musings spouted to his colleagues (that I have heard) thus far have been:
- "Well, statistically they (meaning black people) are more likely to commit crimes..."
- "We should just nuke the French"
- Something about having to support 360 Syrian refugees
- "There are only two genders. Fact. (What about Hermaphrodites, Bob?) There's no such thing as a "Gay" gender!" (Who said there was, Bob?)
- Women shouldn't serve in the armed forces
- "Electric cars aren't as environmentally friendly as petrol cars. Fact."
- Something derogatory about Greta Thunberg
- All Muslims are terrorists
Nationalism (And Bob's world-view summed up)
Monday Mar 09 2020
Bob's bigotry was rubbing its old white hands together today as he "read" the headline that a person armed with knives was shot dead by police in London.
In Bob World, this became, "A Muslim Terroist with knives was shot dead in London this morning"
I had just read the initial report and saw no mention of the man's skin tone, nor of his religion. I asked Bob, "How do you know he was a Muslim?"
Bob's reply was that he was a terrorist so he must have been Muslim, "because they're all terrorists". I brought up examples of Anders Breivik and Timothy McVeigh, and Bob retorted, "Yes! Terrorists!". I said, "But they're not Muslims". Bob by this time was just shouting out sentences over my reasonable comments. "Yes! Terroists!". But they aren't Muslims Bob - Bob:"Yes! They're all terrorists!".
I gave up...
From the BBC report that was available at the time of this "conversation" (emphasis added by me):
A knifeman has been shot dead by armed police officers in central London.The man was seen "acting suspiciously" in Westminster, at 23:25 GMT on Sunday, and pulled out two knives when he was challenged by officers on patrol, Scotland Yard said. Armed officers responded and a Taser and gun were fired. The man was confirmed dead by the London Ambulance Service in Great Scotland Yard but the incident is not being treated as terror related.